Wednesday, July 28, 2010

NFL Predictions and HOPE


I'm so ready for football, It is right around the corner and I am already making my predictions. That is the fun thing about the preseason, there is so much hope, your favorite team that has been lousy for the last few years now has a chance to go all the way. As a Texans fan my hope is often diminished by week 3 or 4. But this year hope overcomes reason, that's right I again predict that the Texans will go deep into the playoffs. They will lose in the AFC championship game to the Jets. I hate the Jets, but I think they will go all the way to the big game and lose to the Cowboys. Thats right that is my prediction, the Cowboys win it all.


That all sounds crazy I know, but hope causes us to go against the grain, it us gives the ability overcome worldly expectations and dream beyond our ability and ranking. In Romans 5 the Apostle Paul shares with us the power of hope.

"1 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." Romans 5:1-5 NIV

The hopeful predictions Paul gives in Romans 5 are founded in Jesus Christ. Jesus has never dissappointed us, He has never failed us, and He never will. There are those who expect us to fail, who look at the resources we have and they predict that we will fall on our face. Without Jesus we have failed, and will continue to fail if our hope is in ourselves. Predicting that the Texans win in the playoffs may seem farfetched, and it is; but what is real is that God's love guarentees us the victory. Whatever struggle you are facing today is actually a pathway to victory, because that struggle leads us to understand that we need God. May the God of grace and love give you strength and fill you with hope.

1 comment:

mary said...

Your blogs are very inspiring to me.
I appreciate the time you must put
into them.

I am a lady & I was in a fabric store
yesterday and saw some Texan fabric.
I thought if I knew Vic's measurements
I'd make him a Texan shirt.

Thank you so much. ml