Thursday, July 22, 2010

The 80 / 20 Rule

In Jim George’s book “A Husband After God's Own Heart” he shares a story about Bud Wilkinson, the legendary coach of the University of Oklahoma football team from 1947 to 1963. Coach Wilkinson once described his game as "50,000 people who desperately need exercise watching 22 men who desperately need rest."
Unfortunately, that's the situation in most churches today. Most of us have heard of the 80 /20 rule; 80% of the work done in a church, business, or organization is done by only 20% of its people. As God’s people we are blessed by His grace and love. Motivated by love God sent His son to this earth to die for our sins. By that act of love we receive the gift of life. It was not a gift that we earned; we received it out of His grace. The apostle Paul once said “by the grace of God I am what I am”, he was one of the hardest working ministers that the church had ever known. So what is the point, it is grace and love that motivates individuals to do good works. Rescue from laziness and apathy is found in the grace and love of God. It is by grace that we are motivated to do more, and it is out of love that we give of ourselves to help others. I encourage you to connect with God in a personal way that would help you appreciate His love for you. Moments with God inspire us to get up and help others, to love others, to give, and to serve. It is by the grace of God that any one of us would become part of the 20% that changes the world. - Vic

“9 For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. 11 Whether, then, it was I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed.”
1 Corinthians 15:9-11 NIV

No comments: