Tuesday, July 27, 2010

In Jesus Name, Amen.


Praying in the name of Jesus, one of the most traditional things I do. You know what I mean, you pray and at the end you say "in Jesus name, Amen." If you don't say the "in Jesus name" it just doesn't count. That's what the Bible says anyway, right? ... uhhh what? Why are you looking at me that way? Your saying that I'm missing the point? Oh wait, your saying that I am flat out wrong? Ouch!

"9Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. 12I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. 14You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it." John 14:9-14 NIV

When Jesus said to Philip "don't you know me?" He was being very personal. Jesus reminded them of His greatest strength, which was His realtionship with the Father. It was a relationship that went deep, one in which Jesus was so connected to the Father that He knew His Father's will. You know how some old married couples can finish each other's sentences, they do that because they are connected. They have the same desire and will. When Jesus said that we are to ask for things in His name He was not saying that He is the magic genie that makes wishes (prayers) come true. What Jesus is saying is that when we pray in His name we are asking out of a relationship in which we are so connected to Him that we know His will, we know what He desires, we can finish His sentences. To pray in the name of Jesus is to declare a moment by moment relationship with Him. To pray in the name of Jesus is to live in the name of Jesus, to live His will every moment, to live in the Father and the Father live in you. To live in the name of Jesus is to be empowered to overcome temptation and worldliness. To live in the name of Jesus is to be so empowered that we use our talents to love and help others. To live in the name of Jesus is to have the power to do the right things no matter what the dilemma. "In Jesus name" it is not a way to end a prayer, it is a way to live. May God be glorified as we seek to be close to Him. In Jesus name, Amen.

3 comments:

stacy said...

Great thoughts! I know that I often get into a routine...even in my time and talks with God. It is good to be reminded that "In jesus name" is a commitment to a lifestyle and a relationship not just the way to end a prayer!

Don said...

I liked everything you said except that thing about "old married couples". I won't show this to your mother-in- law. That being said, I think you are "RIGHT ON". It is simply about our relationship with Jesus not some specified speech formula. Similar to insisting that the words, "I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit for the remission of sins" be repeated at a baptism or defining worship to mean some specified acts at the right time and right place with the right people. Don't get me started. Good job!

Anonymous said...

When I was a young christian I was
so "rules" oriented that I would begin
my prayers with "In Jesus' name I pray" just in case I died before I
finished my prayer. In the olden days
we were much more rules oriented. But
now in some ways we have gone overboard the other direction with
love.....only. We need both don't we.