Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Inception part 1


Inception was a great movie. I give it 4 Stars. It is not the best movie all time, it is not even in my top 20. (Hummm, That would be a great Blog.) Inception is a corporate espionage thriller that focuses on a team of tech thieves who are able to invade peoples dreams and steal their ideas. The hero (Dom Cobb, played by Leonardo DiCaprio) is given one more job before he retires. However this job is not about stealing an idea, but planting one; thus the movie is called Inception. Inception of an idea begins with a seed (thought) that becomes an idea, that leads to a belief, which will eventually become a reality. No spoilers here, go see the movie.


Inception got me to thinking about the concept of planting ideas. We have seeds of ideas everyday planted in our minds. While watching a football game on TV I find myself wanting more pizza, hot wings, better car insurance, and something to drink. There are so many commercials during a game that plant ideas in my mind; I don’t drink beer, but the beer commercials make me thirsty.

Christian writers and preachers warn us of spiritual inception, of people planting false ideas in our minds in order to turn us the wrong direction. I’m not going there either, however this movie got me to thinking; how can I be more effective at planting ideas into the minds of the people around me? Think about it, if I could plant positive ideas into the minds of my kids, my life could be so much simpler. I could plant ideas in my wife’s mind; I could get her to think that I am the most amazing man ever. As a minister I could plant positive ideas into the minds of both believers and nonbelievers. In 1 Corinthians 3 the Apostle Paul was addressing the fighting and division within the church. His focus was on how the world plants selfish and sinful ideas into the minds of Godly people, to make the problem worse, Godly people allowed worldly ideas to become a reality in their lives. Paul went on to explain that godliness and faith originate from God and His fellow workers.

“5 What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. 6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. 7 So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8 The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. 9 For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building.” 1 Corinthians 3:5-9 NIV

As God’s people we have been given a simple job, which is to plant the idea of God into people’s minds. Let’s call it spiritual inception. Paul planted the idea through preaching, teaching, encouragement, and through his example. We will talk about Apollos and God’s role later this week. Idea planting doesn’t require great ability or experience, but it does require consistency. There will be people we come in contact with everyday, they will hear our words and they will see our actions. In those moments we plant ideas into their minds. The more we are around them the more influence we have over them. So what ideas are we planting upon the minds of our children, what ideas are beginning to take root in the minds of our friends and coworkers? Inception happens everyday; the world is filled with negative seed planters who help people grow worried, depressed, and self-centered. We are called to do the opposite, to plant ideas that are Holy Spirit led; ideas that help people discover faith, hope, and love.

To be continued …

No comments: