Tuesday, April 22, 2014

MISSION


Something happened a few weeks ago.  I was looking at my cluttered bulletin board in my office, and I decided to clean it off.  As I did I noticed a piece of paper that had been lost, covered up by other things on the board.  This paper caught my attention, because at the top of this paper was a statement that was circled (highlighted) for some reason. So I inspected it, and this is what it said:
 
OUR MISSION: To present the gospel of Christ to the world, to prepare God’s people for works of service, to assist those who are in need, and to keep ourselves unspotted from the world. 
 
There it was our mission.  Not just my mission, but our mission; the mission of every member of the Holly Hill Church of Christ.  I was reading this being reminded of our mission, and I had a thought.  The mission was on my board all along, right there in my office.  But it was covered up with so much stuff that I could no longer see it.  That is not just true about bulletin boards, it is true about life.  If we are overextended; if we are involved in too much of the world, we will miss the important stuff, like our purpose, our mission, our reason for living.  We need to refocus, to remember that we are God’s people; that we have a mission to do His will.  It is amazing what we find when we unclutter our lives.  When we simplify and get rid of the unnecessary and the negative, we might just find something useful.
Vic

No comments: