Friday, July 19, 2013

Darkness & Reverence


2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.” James 1:2-5 NIV
 

The electricity went out after a massive ice storm hit Texas back when I was about 8 years old.  We lived out in the country, and each night the power was out, it was pitch black.  I couldn’t find anything because of the darkness.  It was so dark that I bumped and bloodied myself several times, because I couldn’t see anything.  I began to move differently in the darkness. I learned something from the darkness.  So that I would not fall down stairs or bump into walls, I had to reach out to find something that would guide me.  The darkness taught me to REACH OUT.
What if all of this that we see in this world is actually just darkness?   What if all of the pain that happens in life is part of that darkness? What if all of the trials, hurts, and sicknesses are also part of the darkness? 
If that is so, then the darkness has taught us to reach out to the one thing that is real; the only thing that can guide through the darkness.  What if the darkness teaches us to reach out for God? 
I learned something about reverence from the darkness; no matter how bad it gets or how dark life gets, fear of God teaches us to never give up on Him, and we never stop reaching out to Him. – Vic

No comments: