Friday, January 28, 2011

There’s An App For That

By the way, I love my i phone!!!
The popularity of smart phones are growing each day, it seems like every other person between the age of 5 and 95 have them. Have you heard the phrase “there’s an app for that”? Smart phones have apps (applications) that can help you with just about anything you do or want to know. Do you need to know what the weather in Hong Kong is like, there’s an app for that. Would you like to know the shortest route to the hospital, there’s an app for that as well. My phone has all kinds of apps for all kinds of needs. I’ve got a map app, calculator app, movie listing app, weather app, level and measuring app, Bible apps, news apps, and even a game app called “Angry Birds”. We see people on their phones using their applications everyday everywhere. People risk their lives to be able to use their phones. People die every day trying to drive and use their phones. The other day I saw a man walk out into the street in front of a moving car, he didn’t look, the car threw on it brakes and swerved to miss him. He didn’t even notice, because his head was buried into his phone. It is as if the world has decided it cannot live without the applications that smart phones have to offer. The problem is that I have not found apps on my phone that will help me be a better father or husband. I have not found an app that will help me forgive or not lose my temper. I have not found an app on my phone that will help me live with joy, peace, kindness, or patience. Yet the apostle Peter said “His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life” 2 Peter 1:3 NIV. So if you need joy there is an app for that. If you need patience or mercy, there is an app for that as well. As Peter just said, because of Jesus we have an app for every need. The more we read God’s word the more we learn not only how much God loves us, but how much God can help us. I encourage you to read your Bible more, pick it up and read it; you will be blessed if you do. By the way, if you don’t own a Bible but you may own a smart phone, if so, download a Bible app on it. Wow, now that we have the Bible app on our phones we can truly say we have an app for everything.

No comments: